Here What the Research Says
• Nine pull-out program research studies were examined for their effectiveness for gifted students. The results indicate that pull-out models in gifted education have significant positive effects for the variables of achievement, critical thinking, and creativity.
• When pull-out gifted programs were eliminated, parents reported that their children were experiencing - "a decline in energy, curiosity, and intrinsic motivation to achieve at high levels and were beginning to disengage from the traditional curriculum."
• Studies found that students in special schools tended to score highest on standardized tests and other measurements compared to students of the same abilities in regular school settings.
• Over 99% of the students in specialized math and science high schools went on to earn a bachelor's degree or higher, with over 50% of the students continuing in challenging science or math fields.
• Specialized classes or pull out programs means fewer repetitive drills and more challenging concepts. - "The achievement level of high ability students falls dramatically when they are required to do routine work at a routine pace.